23 November 2011

Thankful and Busy

Happy Thanksgiving to you, long-suffering readers of my blog. I'm not sure this webpage has really deserved the title of "blog" as it is more like a monthly periodical, one which you have ceased to pay for and now use for decoupage or something like that.

I wish I had pages and pages to tell you about life here. I'll start with school for now: six preps are burying me deep under a mountain of grading and leave little time for anything else during the week. This month, we had parent-teacher conferences (almost entirely in Spanish. Most of my conversations went something like this: "your child is good!" or "your child is lazy" or simply "good afternoon. Bye."). Some of my fifth-graders still call me "Miss Halloween" but we have fun. Today in class we compared antibodies to the bat signal. They are also really intrigued by Bill Nye the Science Guy.

On the weekends, Heather and I try to see as much as we can and enjoy the company of our new friends. Here is a picture of us with Andrea at her flamenco dancing recital.

Flamenco is such an interesting dance. Some routines are choreographed, but the really talented dancers improvise everything. The guitarist, drummer, and vocalist follow her lead and it makes for an entirely spontaneous creation. It was really beautiful.

On 11/11/11, our students celebrated Pepero Day, a Korean holiday dedicated entirely to a cookie. Thank you, Korea. Our students brought in boxes and boxes of these cookies to school and were able to try a few. My box didn't last long...


I am heading home for Christmas and for Angela Forney's wedding in less than 3 weeks. I can't wait to be home. Missing you all and so thankful to have such loving friends and family. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow Jenny! Or should I say Miss Halloween :) That is hilarious. I was thinking about how you, and how say "You bet you sweet bippy" and it made me really miss you. Can't wait to see you during Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepero day! That is very cute. I think they sell those cookies in US grocery stores, but aren't they called "Pocky" instead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Miss Halloween! I'm not real quick-- I had to read that a few times before I got that! :-) I am so thankful for you and I hope these last few weeks go soso quick!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are called Pocky, Charity. I asked the kids about that and they said those are the Japanese version of Pepero. I think they are essentially the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I'm totally going to mod-podge your blog. :) I am stoked to see you in a few short weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you celebrated Pepero Day. We celebrated here at the Korean school and the kids are all in agreement that it's the best holiday of all time. I just love that a company decided to make a holiday just for their own cookie, and everyone bought into it. Crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete