19 September 2011

I'd Rather Have a Snow Day

I've never had school canceled for anything but snow. The seemingly harmless flakes were so inviting as I watched the morning news, waiting impatiently for my school to crawl across the screen with the words: "CANCELED" or "2 HOUR DELAY" close behind. Ah, snow days.

Here in Guate, we have earthquake days.

I was on lunch duty today when I felt the first earthquake. It wasn't huge, but it was substantial enough to cause quite a stir amongst the students. Terremotos are common in Guatemala so I didn't think much of it. During my fourth period prep, I saw my desks shaking. Earthquake 2. The students were rushed out to the commons, which isn't the safest place to be during an earthquake, but it beats the 'ol duck and cover method under poorly constructed desks in a school building which sits precariously on a ravine. The students were taken back to their classrooms and resumed class. But not ten minutes later, we felt another shake. Earthquake 3. Again, the kids ran out to the commons. The order that briefly reigned was soon lost to chaos as the seniors screamed for joy and the little ones clung to teachers' arms and legs. Fortunately, class resumed before too long.
I was back in my classroom, foolishly thinking I could finally get some grades entered, when I felt another hard shake. Earthquake 4 wasn't huge, unlike the 4.8 and 5.8 we felt earlier, but it was enough for Han Al to cancel school and send the kids home early. We the teachers, however, had to stay and have a meeting (it's no fun being grown up sometimes). Evacuation plans were discussed and student leaders were delegated. Mother nature showed her approval of our safety plan with a gentle nod. Earthquake 5.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Jen. I'd rather have a snow day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so crazy Jen. You would think if they were that common, Han Al would have already had an emergency plan.... haha. Miss you, stay safe down there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell the east coast what real earthquakes are like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ay de mi! Glad you made it through all those alright, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyo darlin!
    I definitely second the snow-day preference, I'm glad you're alright!!!!
    You are an excellent blog writer-- keep the stories coming! I am still blown away by the extent of your cross-cultural experience; so many different cultures rolled into one, WOW! I will be praying for you and Heather as you continue on this life-changing trek :-) Any work for speech therapists down south? ;-)
    Con MUCHO amor,

    Smac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I don't know how calmly I could handle an earthquake, much less 5. Great ending line for the post, btw. Made me laugh! I'm glad to hear it ended well, with a plan in place for future emergencies. :) I miss you, J-Drizzle!

    ReplyDelete